The original core building of the Hotel Londra Palace in Venice dates back to 1853. Then it was called the Hotel d’Angleterre & Pension, and later the Londres. In 1865 the Beau Rivage was built in ‘neolombardesque’ style, connected to the Hotel d’Angleterre by an adjoining structure. The hotel’s present appearance is the result of the roof being raised during the 1950s and the more recent renovations of the façade and internal public areas. It was given the name ‘Londra Palace’ in the seventies.
One of the hotel’s most famous guests was the Russian composer Petr Il’lc Tchaikovsky who stayed here in December 1877. In room 106 he composed the first three movements of Symphony No. 4, originally entitled ‘Do Leoni’. Gabriele D’Annunzio stayed here in 1887, when he attended the unveiling of the monument built in front of the hotel in honour of King Vittorio Emanuele II. Other important names include Jorge Luis Borges and Iosif Brodskij, recipient of the Nobel Prize for literature.